In my First Blog, I am going to share some Cool and Amazing facts about Chandigarh “City Beautiful”. I am living there for a long time and it is a right place for me to share amazing facts about Chandigarh.
Chandigarh is more than just a Union Territory, it has a history, a future that is connected with the people already residing or intending to settle there. Let’s know more about this beautiful city which sets a benchmark with respect to remarkable designing, planning and eventual execution.
Chandigarh is also well known as “City beautiful”
Here are Some Amazing Facts about City Beautiful
- City was the dream city of India’s first Prime Minister Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru.
- The city got its name from the famous Chandi Mandir Temple, which is now a famous tourist destination.
- City came into notice post-independence as the capital of Punjab at that time was Lahore and needed a new capital.
- The medieval Chandigarh was the home to the Harappan Civilization about 8000 years ago.
- In Chandigarh, you would not notice any statue in parks or at the roundabout, a condition of the architect Le Corbusier.
- The city is a union territory controlled by the Central Government and is the capital of two Indian states Haryana and Punjab.
- Chandigarh city is known internationally for its architecture and urban design and thus BBC named City as one of the perfect cities of the world.
- City tops the list of Indian states and union territories in Human Development Index.
- The neighboring cities of Chandigarh, Panchkula, and Mohali are together called the “Tricity”.
- Chandigarh is the first planned city of our country and is spread in an area of approx. 114 sq. mt.
- It is noticed that the sectors in Chandigarh and Panchkula don’t have a Sector 13, a superstitious belief that the no. 13 is not auspicious.
- A study conducted by national government reported that Chandigarh is one of the cleanest city in the country.
- Chandigarh’s capitol complex was declared World Heritage by UNESCO in July 2016.
- City has the third highest forest cover in India at 8.51%.
- In 2015, Chandigarh was ranked as the happiest city in India over the Happiness index.
- City’s official emblem is the ‘Open Hand’ which signifies peace and reconciliation. The open hand sends a message of ‘open to give and receive’.
- The network of roads in City is called the 7V’s, with the vertical roads, called the Paths (running northeast/southwest) and horizontal roads called Margs (running northwest and southeast).
- Le Corbusier conceptualized Chandigarh as analogous to the human body. The ‘Head’ being Capitol Complex in Sector 1, ‘Heart being City Centre Sector-17, ‘Lungs’ being the open space and greenery, ‘Circulatory System’ being the 7V’s and ‘Brain’ being the Educational Institutions.
- City is situated at the foot of Shivalik Range, 365 mts. above sea level.
- The Central Plaza in Sector 17 is called Pedestrian’s Paradise intended to avoid any traffic and is a hot destination for people on weekends as it houses restaurants, pubs, discos, clothing stores etc.
- Tree plantation was a major part of the city’s plan. This is the reason why there are about 26 flowering species and 22 trees species planted at various spots across the city.
- Chandigarh ranks first in India in the Human Development Index, quality of life and readiness.
- Cityis the first smoke-free city in India.
- City is ranked 4th in the top 50 cities identified globally as “emerging outsourcing and IT services destinations”.
- Because of the picturesque beauty of Chandigarh, it is called ‘The City Beautiful’.
- City has been rated as the “Wealthiest Town” of India.
- Zakir Hussain Rose Garden situated in Sector-16, Chandigarh is known to be the greatest of its types in Asia.
- City is divided into sectors, with each sector enclosed by roads for easy transport yet sealed from direct access to the residential areas.
- City has the largest number of vehicles per capita in India.
- As the city is the base for three governments, most of the people residing there are either working government officials or retired one. This has given the city the title of ‘Pensioner’s Paradise’.
These are all amazing facts of City Beautiful. If you like our post, Share with your friends and comment us for anything